Well started on another quarter and the thing that finally stopped me was a huge thick root from an old cherry tree. I've dug up many roots from the old tree and they'e easily broken up. I knew I'd find one that would finally get me, if only for a few days.
Before discovering the huge root I did manage to empty part of the old border of all the plants I want to keep. Ornamental grasses, penstemon, geranium. I then began to dig out the weeds. The biggest problem that I have always had with this old border is a small variety of buttercup, which no matter how hard I try to get rid of, always eventually returns. So this is partly why I've dug up everything to get at it properly. I'm sure this will take a good while to thoroughly clear it. I've got the rest of the border to do, but I'm a little hesitant to dig up all my plants as I've things like Echinacea and Echinops which have really gotten going. So it might still be a case of digging around them for now at least.
Even though its jam packed full of weeds there are some real gems poking through, from Iris to Foxgloves and Geraniums. I really think making this corner a cottage garden style as it seems to do so well. Just have to tackle the weeds.
The more I clear the more excited I get, thinking what will go where and how it will turn out. Half of this part of the garden is going to be no doubt looking like a jungle throughout the summer as I've pumpkins, squash, courgettes and cucumbers to go in, if they all fit that is!